Architecture: Stations of the cross

The fourteen “Stations of the Cross” paintings was created for Coprus Christi by Artist Father Gregory Gerrer, O.S.B., a Benedictine monk.
Born Robert Francis Xavier Gerrer on July 23, 1867, in France in the Alsatian village of Lautenbach, during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870–71 he immigrated with his family to the United States. They settled in Bedford, Iowa. As a youth he displayed a talent for art and music, taking various jobs as a musician. He learned to play various musical instruments and even tried his hand at musical composition. He played the guitar and the clarinet. Early in 1891, the Hurlbert and Leftwich Circus came to Bedford, Iowa; their orchestra and band needed a clarinetist, and thus began Robert’s brief career as a circus performer.

Weeping Women of Jerusalem. Station Eight (of fourteen paintings.)
"Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me, but weep for yourselves and for your children." Luke 23:28
37 inches height by 88 inches width

Restored by Parma Conservation, LTD. Chicago, IL

 

Upon learning of a land opening in Oklahoma Territory in 1891, he traveled to Guthrie. In December he visited the community of Benedictine monks at Sacred Heart Mission, located in the southern part of present Pottawatomie County. He remained there and entered the novitiate in January 1892, taking the name Gregory. After being ordained to the priesthood in 1900, Gerrer traveled to Rome to study art. During this time he developed a reputation for portraiture. In 1904 he painted a portrait of the recently elected Pope Pius X (canonized 1954). Gerrer entered the painting in the 1904 World’s Fair at St. Louis, and it won a bronze medal. He also painted the “Stations of the Cross” paintings for the old Holy Angels Church, which ufortunately burnt down.

In 1917, representatives of the University of Notre Dame contacted Fr. Gerrer and requested that he apply his knowledge and talents to their growing art collection, the Wightman Memorial Gallery. Fr. Gerrer would continue to act as an advisor and art instructor at Notre Dame for the next 15 years. Fr. Gerrer, or Dom Gerrer as he was known at Notre Dame, was the first Director and Curator at the Wightman Memorial Art Gallery.

Founded by Fr.Gerrer in 1919, the Mabee-Gerrer Museum of Art is one of the oldest museums in the state of Oklahoma. During Father Gerrer’s travels to Europe, Africa and South America, he collected objects of artistic and ethnological value.